Thursday, July 05, 2018

Windows 10 nightmare part one

 When windows 10 came out I thought Microsoft had done something good, I thought wrong. The biggest mistake that Microsoft has ever made is in this operating system: unstoppable, forced updates.  And today if you have managed to stay on the original version of windows 10 you are no longer able to because it is end-of-life.



 This is a fucking nightmare that started at 1 o’clock in the morning.

My main PC had blue screened, then when I try to reboot, it said “boot sector not found“, meaning bad sector on the boot drive. So, I booted up to my Flash Drive that has the repair programs, and I run GWscan.

This morning at about 10 o’clock I’ll check it out and of course it was repaired. So I check the structure of the file system using CHKDSK, it’s fixes a few things and then repairs so I can now boot.

Within five minutes I have this gigantic nag screen that’s informing me that my fucking system is updating to a new version of windows 10 without my permission of course. So with some Finagling, I managed to halt that process and delete the files on the computer that were causing it.

So then I try to deal with my antivirus which had updated to The latest, unwanted version, when the freaking windows 10 upgrade assistant nagscreen pops up again (you cannot click out of it), I was able to force it closed again and then delete the files again. Meanwhile my antivirus refused to downgrade itself to the earlier version so I had to uninstall it meaning I had to go into safe mode and run this uninstaller tool. Fortunately I was able to back up all of the settings before I uninstalled it. But I couldn’t reinstall the earlier version until I had run the UnInstaller.

Finally I looked up the problem on my phone and it brought me to a website that show me how to disable the windows 10 upgrade assistant, it turns out some update process installed a few lines into my task scheduler that was telling my computer to keep on downloading the update and to keep on trying to run it.


So getting rid of that complete bullshit took about 8 hours today, thank you and fuck you very much Microsoft.

 I had thought this had subs it but this morning at about 4 o’clock I heard some unusual rebooting of my main computer while I was trying to have a nice dream:

1 comment:

XweAponX said...

Damn, this was ages ago. Fortunately they fixed it. This particular rant was in response to one Windows 10 update that practically bricked my operating system, Rolling it back to the previous version was the only way to repair it.

The last few updates didn’t give me the same kinds of problems. My computers are too old for Windows 11…

Actually my way around this issue was to install LTSC enterprise edition, it has no native store software and it is more like windows eight than windows 10.

It does not get updated every three weeks, and it is easy to refuse an update.

It appears to be a lot more stable than Windows 10 Pro too.